Historic Landmarks

Admiralty Head Lighthouse

Historic Landmarks
Fort Casey State Park, Coupeville. Built in 1861 and rebuilt in 1903, the lighthouse guided tall ships toward the Whidbey Island shore where they could fill their sails with wind. It was the last brick lighthouse designed by renowned German architect Carl Leick – its walls 18 inches thick to withstand the earthquakes that shake western Washington.

Admiralty Head’s Fresnel lens was extinguished in 1922, but the lighthouse today welcomes visitors, weddings and tour parties with the help of dedicated volunteers. Enjoy our rich historical exhibits, browse our gift shop


Historic Landmarks
Four Central Whidbey Island blockhouses remain, originally built to guard against Native American attack during the Indian wars of 1855-1857.

1. The 1855 Alexander blockhouse. Moved from the John Alexander farm to its present location next to the Island County Historical Museum on Main Street in Coupeville.
2. The 1855 Crockett Blockhouse. One of two stockaded blockhouses, moved to just southwest of its original site. (The other one was moved to the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition in 1909). Located on Fort Casey and Crockett Farm Road intersection.
3. The 1857 Davis blockhouse. Restored by the local Ladies of the Round Table and dedicated by Professor Edmund Meany in 1921 and again restored in 2007 by the Island County Cemetery District and the Coupeville Lions Club. Stands in Sunnyside Cemetery on Sherman Road, Coupeville
4. The 1857 Ebey Blockhouse. One of the four stockade blockhouses protecting the Jacob Ebey house. On Ebey’s Bluff.

Coupeville Wharf

Historic Landmarks
Although the wharf was originally built in 1905 for transportation and storage of locally grown grain and other goods as well as ferry services for people, nowadays the wharf and boating facility primarily provide for pleasure activities. The Coupeville Wharf is currently home to Harbor Gift Shop, Local Grown (Coffee Shop), Kim’s Café and several marine exhibits.

Ebey’s Landing National Historic Reserve

Historic Landmarks
The past meets the present at Ebey’s Landing National Historical Reserve in a working rural landscape. Created in 1978 as the nation’s first Historical Reserve, the 17,572-acres integrates historic farms, a seaside town, native and pioneer land use traditions, and ecologically significant areas. A Trust Board of community volunteers manages the Reserve – charting the future while honoring the past. Stop by the Visitor Information Center in Coupeville to pick up a copy of the 2.5 historic walking tour of the Town of Coupeville!

Fort Casey State Park

Historic Landmarks
Located next to the Keystone Harbor, Coupeville Ferry Terminal. Overlooking Admiralty Inlet, it was considered so strategic to the defense of Puget Sound in the 1890s that three forts, Fort Casey on Whidbey Island, Fort Flagler on Marrowstone Island, and Fort Worden at Port Townsend, were built at the entrance with huge guns creating a “Triangle of Fire.” This military strategy was built on the theory that the three fortresses would thwart any invasion attempt by sea. Fort Casey is now a 467 acres (1.89 km2) marine camping park. The Admiralty Head Lighthouse is located in the state park. Spend a morning or an afternoon exploring the Fort, take a stroll along the beach or explore the walking trails.

Fort Ebey State Park

Historic Landmarks
Located 3 miles north of Coupeville is a 645-acre camping park on Whidbey Island. Fort Ebey was originally built as a coastal defense fort in World War II and part of the Triangle of Fire. Concrete platforms mark the gun locations. The park has three miles of saltwater shoreline on the Strait of Juan de Fuca, a freshwater lake for fishing, and miles of hiking and biking trails.


Jacob Ebey House

Historic Landmarks
An easy walk across the bluff from Prairie Overlook to the home of Jacob Ebey.

Sunnyside Cemetery

Historic Landmarks
Cemetery Road, Coupeville. A pioneer burial ground is located on central Whidbey Island, near Coupeville, Washington. Its establishment began with the first burial, Winfield Ebey, in 1865. In 1869, his sister, Mary Ebey Bozarth, sold the one and a quarter acre where he was buried to the county for $1.00. While there are older grave markers there, such as Rebecca Ebey, 1853, they were actually exhumed and transferred to Sunnyside. Since that time, there have been six parcels of acreage added to Sunnyside, keeping pace with Whidbey Island’s expanding population.